Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's All in the Grits!

Recipes. Right. I said that... well here's one that I came up with on the fly recently, because I'm pretty broke (<---- how's that for honesty?) and I just had to work with what was in the kitchen. It is perfectly acceptable to omit the tomatoes or anything else you want to, and you could add vegetables to this, as well as anything else you wanted to really (corn? peppers? asparagus?). I like to play with things, but this is just what I had in the kitchen that day. I promise, it sounds weird, but it's really delicious and it's really cheap. You can even forget the sausage and use beans, chicken, shrimp, or nothing at all in its place. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it, I definitely loved it.

                 Sausage and Grits
                    Serves 2

♔ 2 Mild Italian Sausages
♔ olive oil for browning
♔ 1 cup diced tomatoes + juice
♔ 1/2 small onion, chopped
♔ 1 garlic clove, minced
♔ 1 cup frozen peas
♔ 1 cup frozen spinach
♔ grits (and water for preperation)
♔ shredded cheddar cheese to taste (optional)
♔ salt and pepper to taste (optional)

If you got uncooked sausages, boil them until they are cooked through, about 7 minutes, then slice into 1/2 inch pieces. If you got cooked ones, brown them in the pan, and then slice into 1/2 inc pieces. Prepare grits according to package (I made 2 servings), this will take about 5 minutes (plus time for the water to boil). Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add sausage pieces and onion. Cook until onions are soft and sausage is browned, about 5 mintues, stirring often. Add garlic and tomatoes. Heat for 2 minutes, or until tomato juice is warm. Add vegetables, cook for about 6 minutes, or until vegetables are heated through. Season to taste. Add cheese to the grits (optional). Serve sausage mixture over cheese grits and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment